Ebay Purchase £500I was looking for a replacement for an old greenhouse which had reached the end of it's days and tracked this wooden conservatory down on ebay.I paid £500 for it thinking i hd a bargain.Little did I know how much extra expense and work it would take to dismantle and erect it!!
The sellers owned a lovely garden as you can see and i was
surprised they wanted to sell.However they intended to erect an
even larger garden room.
How confidently I started off detaching all the internal blinds.A piece of cake!! The vents unscrewed without much effort.The problems started when i attempted to take out the double glazed sheets of glass in the roof.They were held in place with wooden cedar capping bars ,pinned and silicone sealed into position.By the time i prised these off, most of them had been splintered and reduced to match wood.The glass had been puttied and siliconed onto the glazing bars and was never meant to be undone.It was set there like concrete.I tried warming them up with a blowtorch ,cutting them out with a skill knife and fin ally i desperation grinding out the putty with an angle grinder.Needless to say half the roof panes broke or cracked and the rest were in a sorry state by the time i had deglazed the building.
Once the frames were dismantled, i chopped out all the bricks on the dwarf wall and cleaned the mortar off.Finally i saved all the quarry tiles which came up very easily as the mortar bed they were cemented too was rubbish.At last,an easy job.I suppose i spent about 5 days dismantling and transporting the buildingat the start of one December just as the weather was on the change.Snow was falling on the last load home.I decided to call it a day until the spring.
Demolishing the Old Greenhouse
About March the following year ,with the weather improving,i decided to come out of hibernation and make a start on the nextstep of the project.I became DEMOLITION MAN.No need to take any care.Just smash and break.Lord, it was good.I suppose i reduced the frame to matchwood in a day and it took me another day to save the wood and clear the site.The wood all got sawn up and used in the wood burner the next winter.No waste.Who says we aren't green in England .
Foundations of New build
At last came the stage when i could start building again.Although the old green house stood on a concrete pad it didn't follow the same footprint as the Conservatory so to be on the safe side I broke up the concrete where the new foundations would go.If there was any settlement in the foundations it would be even over the whole area. I managed to crucify a Kango breaker and acquired a severe case of "White Finger vibration " for my troubles
Building the Dwarf Walls
At last I started the brick work.I had been quite meticulous measuring the dimensions of the Conservatory base when i dismantled it,so after marking out i started buiding.Luckily the weather was good and i took my time.I was quite pleased with the finished result but i still managed to leave smears of cement on the face work of some of the bricks.Never mind ,i did my best!
Well i made a reasonable job of the brick work as the wooden frame fitted a treat.The ridge got mended with massive screws and a good dose of glue and within a few days the frame was essentially finished.At his stage i took a good look at the roof glass and decided that we needed new glass for the top.A lot of the double glazed units which were good had moisture inside them so i scrapped the lot.I made hardboard templates for the glass firm and they had them made up to size.
Flooring and tiling
With the glazing finished i could now concentrate on the interior.I laid heavy duty polythene (visqueen), screeded over the top of it and then after a few days i tiled .A few of the quarry tiles had broken so i decided to buy a few feature tiles for the middle.Instead of using a cement screed I chose tile adhesive which made a much better job and should ensure that the tiles wont lift.
Finishing Touches,Electric's and Furnishing
October,now and i was on the final leg.I applied a cement screed to the cement block back wall and gave it a couple of coats of paint.Installed two double electric plug points ,the electric fan and light unit and wired it all to a new circuit in the sub distributor box in the garage and hung the roof and side blinds.The last two purchases,again from Ebay were a cane three piece suite and a calor gas heater .
Next spring we decided that we were sick of treading in mud from the garden into the new room so paved a path from the garage .I dug out foundations , a layer of rubble and then sharp sand and finally cemented in sandstone paving (Cheaper than reconstructed stone paving now).It's taken a long time to complete the project but it's all been worth while.Keeps me out of mischief i suppose!!